- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Hannah Warren wins YWCA Mentorship Award
Womanspace announced their nominee, Hannah Warren, was presented with the Mentorship Award at the YWCA Leader Luncheon March 7. Warren, a native of Rockford, traveled to India on a photography project with the support of Rotary International.
In a city in Madhya Pradesh Province, she found the women weavers she was documenting were very poor and received very little compensation for their hard work. After learning to speak Hindi and becoming friends with these women, Warren founded Jhoole Weavers, a fair trade cooperative, a nonprofit business designed to benefit (rather than exploit) people living in poverty.
From the April 6-12, 2011 issue