- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
Hannah Warren wins YWCA Mentorship Award
Womanspace announced their nominee, Hannah Warren, was presented with the Mentorship Award at the YWCA Leader Luncheon March 7. Warren, a native of Rockford, traveled to India on a photography project with the support of Rotary International.
In a city in Madhya Pradesh Province, she found the women weavers she was documenting were very poor and received very little compensation for their hard work. After learning to speak Hindi and becoming friends with these women, Warren founded Jhoole Weavers, a fair trade cooperative, a nonprofit business designed to benefit (rather than exploit) people living in poverty.
From the April 6-12, 2011 issue