- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Rainbow/PUSH Coalition member drive April 9
Rainbow/PUSH Coalition will host a buffet dinner from 6 to 9 p.m., Saturday, April 9, at JT’s Bourbon Street Grille.
The event aims to help form a local chapter of Rainbow/PUSH and increase the group’s local membership.
Speakers include Pastor Walter H. Blalark, president of the Northwest Suburban Chapter of Rainbow/PUSH; Bishop Tavis Grant, Rainbow/PUSH national field director; and the Rev. Herbert L. Johnson, pastor at Liberty Baptist Church.
The buffet dinner is free for the first 50 people who sign up for or renew their Rainbow/PUSH memberships. Yearly membership dues are $35. The buffet dinner is $8 for all others.
Rainbow/PUSH is a nonprofit organization formed as a merger of two nonprofit organizations—Operation PUSH (People United to Save Humanity) and the National Rainbow Coalition—founded by Jesse Jackson. The organizations pursue social justice, civil rights and political activism.
JT’s Bourbon Street Grille is at 1407 N. Main St., Rockford. Call (815) 262-2274 or (815) 964-4400 for more information.
From the April 6-12, 2011, issue