- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Rainbow/PUSH Coalition member drive April 9
Rainbow/PUSH Coalition will host a buffet dinner from 6 to 9 p.m., Saturday, April 9, at JT’s Bourbon Street Grille.
The event aims to help form a local chapter of Rainbow/PUSH and increase the group’s local membership.
Speakers include Pastor Walter H. Blalark, president of the Northwest Suburban Chapter of Rainbow/PUSH; Bishop Tavis Grant, Rainbow/PUSH national field director; and the Rev. Herbert L. Johnson, pastor at Liberty Baptist Church.
The buffet dinner is free for the first 50 people who sign up for or renew their Rainbow/PUSH memberships. Yearly membership dues are $35. The buffet dinner is $8 for all others.
Rainbow/PUSH is a nonprofit organization formed as a merger of two nonprofit organizations—Operation PUSH (People United to Save Humanity) and the National Rainbow Coalition—founded by Jesse Jackson. The organizations pursue social justice, civil rights and political activism.
JT’s Bourbon Street Grille is at 1407 N. Main St., Rockford. Call (815) 262-2274 or (815) 964-4400 for more information.
From the April 6-12, 2011, issue