- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
April 29 deadline for summer arts apprenticeship program
Deadline for ArtsPlace 2011, Rockford Area Arts Council’s summer arts apprenticeship program for youth ages 14-18, is Friday, April 29.
ArtsPlace will run from noon to 4 p.m., Mondays-Thursdays, June 13-July 28, at Rockford College’s Clark Arts Center.
ArtsPlace is a free program, supported by grants and donations. Bus transportation is provided if needed.
ArtsPlace artists and teams include dance with Tamara Newquist, theater with Richard Raether, spoken-word poetry with Tricia Sheridan, sculpture with Marco Basurto and painting with Maya Simmons. Printmaking artist Bruce McDonald is the on-site project director.
Youth work on teams directed by the artist and create original work that is performed and exhibited at the conclusion of the program. Apprentices share in the proceeds from ticket and art sales.
Through the process of creating art, participants learn valuable work skills such as productivity, reliability, perseverance, respect and cooperation.
Applications are online at www.artsforeveryone.com or at the Arts Council, 713 E. State St. Call (815) 963-6765 for info.
From the April 20-26, 2011 issue