- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
To the Editor: A Second term?
President Obama has announced he will be seeking a second term because he needs four more years to complete his agenda. Let’s examine how well he has done with his agenda so far.
— He has increased the national debt by nearly $4 trillion.
— He promised his first priority would be job creation, yet his $800 billion stimulus has been essentially ineffective.
— He promised transparency, then held closed-door health care reform hearings, and prohibited C-SPAN from broadcasting them.
— He rammed through an outrageous health care bill, against the will of a majority of the voters, using the most devious political means possible.
— He promised to elevate the U.S. world stature. However, his Ouija board foreign policy and his public apologies for U.S. exceptionalism have done just the opposite.
— The price of gasoline is twice what it was when he was sworn into office.
He will enjoy a well-funded campaign, much of it financed by money from union members and millionaire liberals. Americans must realize that a continuation of the Obama agenda is unthinkable. Assuming we survive his first term, we must return to sensible government, and assure that Obama is a one-term president.
From the April 20-26, 2011 issue