- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
National Volunteer Week: Exelon, ComEd employees give Spencer Park spring cleaning
CHICAGO—Exelon and ComEd employee volunteers joined the Boone County Conservation District to beautify and maintain Belvidere’s Spencer Park Saturday, April 16, as part of a companywide observance of National Volunteer Week.
Approximately 22 volunteers performed yard work, trimmed bushes around hiking trails and gave areas within the 350-acre park a thorough spring cleaning.
“Exelon and ComEd volunteers are pleased to work with the Boone County Conservation District to help protect the precious natural resources of Spencer Park,” said project leader William Voller, director of large customer services and economic development for ComEd. “By helping to preserve and beautify outdoor spaces like this one, our employees are taking an active role in the company’s commitment to environmental stewardship.”
The event was one of more than 80 community service projects Exelon employee volunteers led for National Volunteer Week April 10-16. More than 1,200 Exelon employees, family members and friends were expected to provide approximately 5,000 hours of volunteer service for the projects, which took place in Exelon’s service territories of northern Illinois, southeastern Pennsylvania and Texas.
In 2010, more than 2,000 Exelon employee volunteers gave almost 66,000 hours of their time to community nonprofit organizations. This is equivalent to 1,650 workweeks, or nearly 32 years of full-time service.
From the April 27-May 3, 2011 issue