- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
WNIJ news reporter wins three AP awards
The Illinois Associated Press Broadcasters Association recently announced winners in the 2010 Journalism Excellence Contest. WNIJ (89.5-FM) reporter Susan Stephens claimed three honors this year in the Downstate Radio division.
Her story, “Fire Ops 101,” was chosen Best Light Feature. Her “Two Sides of a Transplant” report was named Best Hard News Feature, and Stephens took second place in the overall Best News Writer category.
The award-winning audio is featured online under WNIJ’s home page “Headlines,” at www.wnij.org. The WNIJ News Link provides access to a full archive of locally-produced stories and features. WNIJ is the NPR News station within Northern Public Radio, the broadcast service of Northern Illinois University.
From the April 27-May 3, 2011 issue