- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Racing: Byron Dragway hosts Spring Nationals April 30-May 1
By Doug Halberstadt
This Sunday, May 1, the Byron Dragway will host their 8th Annual Spring Nationals. The playground of power will host nostalgia nitro funny cars including Tom Hoover’s Showtime, The Chi-Town Hustler, A. Bonges’ The Punisher and Doc Halliday’s The Telstar.
A special one-on-one, 300-mph jet car grudge match race between Scott Holdridge and Paul Miller will be featured. Another match race will feature Dick Messino’s ’57 Chevy Shake, Rattle & Run versus Hollis Jones’ ’66 Nova.
Other classes making appearances at the Spring Nationals include the Chicago Wise Guys, the Outlaw Super Stocks and the Midwest SS Mafia.
Area bracket races will get an opportunity to race for some cash in the short-track bracket nationals with $1,000 going to the winner.
Testing and qualifying begins Saturday, April 30. Gates open at 9 a.m. and qualifying begins at 1 p.m Admission to Saturday’s action is $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 6-12.
Gates open at 9 a.m., Sunday, and an adult pit pass is $25.
The Byron Dragway is at 7287 River Road in Byron, Ill., just 10 miles southwest of Rockford.
For more information about the Spring Nationals or for a complete 2011 Byron Dragway schedule, visit www.byrondragway.com.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the April 27-May 3, 2011 issue