- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
Racing: Byron Dragway hosts Spring Nationals April 30-May 1
By Doug Halberstadt
This Sunday, May 1, the Byron Dragway will host their 8th Annual Spring Nationals. The playground of power will host nostalgia nitro funny cars including Tom Hoover’s Showtime, The Chi-Town Hustler, A. Bonges’ The Punisher and Doc Halliday’s The Telstar.
A special one-on-one, 300-mph jet car grudge match race between Scott Holdridge and Paul Miller will be featured. Another match race will feature Dick Messino’s ’57 Chevy Shake, Rattle & Run versus Hollis Jones’ ’66 Nova.
Other classes making appearances at the Spring Nationals include the Chicago Wise Guys, the Outlaw Super Stocks and the Midwest SS Mafia.
Area bracket races will get an opportunity to race for some cash in the short-track bracket nationals with $1,000 going to the winner.
Testing and qualifying begins Saturday, April 30. Gates open at 9 a.m. and qualifying begins at 1 p.m Admission to Saturday’s action is $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 6-12.
Gates open at 9 a.m., Sunday, and an adult pit pass is $25.
The Byron Dragway is at 7287 River Road in Byron, Ill., just 10 miles southwest of Rockford.
For more information about the Spring Nationals or for a complete 2011 Byron Dragway schedule, visit www.byrondragway.com.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the April 27-May 3, 2011 issue