- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Illini Caravan at Rockford Country Club May 5
By Doug Halberstadt
Outside of any Chicago Bulls player past or present, the biggest name in Illinois basketball will be in Rockford tomorrow (Thursday, May 5). Bruce Weber, the University of Illinois head men’s basketball coach, will be meeting with fans as part of the Illini Caravan.
Weber and other U of I dignitaries will be at the Rockford Country Club, 2500 Oxford Drive. There is also a possibility Athletic Director Ron Guenther will be joining the group. The event will include an hour of “meet and greet” time beginning at 5:30 p.m., followed by remarks from the coaches and others.
This event is open to the public, and the cost is $25 per person. There will be heavy hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar. Tickets may be purchased at fightingillini.com or by contacting Pat Kreger at (312) 575-7853 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guenther hired Weber April 30, 2003. In his eight seasons at the helm in Champaign, Ill., Weber has compiled an overall record of 193-86. His teams have gone 83-53 in the Big 10 Conference. The Fighting Illini have appeared in the NCAA post-season tournament six of his eight seasons. In the 2005 NCAA tournament, Illinois lost to North Carolina 75-70 in the national championship game.
In May 2009, Weber signed a contract extension that will keep him in Champaign through the 2014-15 season.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the May 4-10, 2011 issue