- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
Illini Caravan at Rockford Country Club May 5
By Doug Halberstadt
Outside of any Chicago Bulls player past or present, the biggest name in Illinois basketball will be in Rockford tomorrow (Thursday, May 5). Bruce Weber, the University of Illinois head men’s basketball coach, will be meeting with fans as part of the Illini Caravan.
Weber and other U of I dignitaries will be at the Rockford Country Club, 2500 Oxford Drive. There is also a possibility Athletic Director Ron Guenther will be joining the group. The event will include an hour of “meet and greet” time beginning at 5:30 p.m., followed by remarks from the coaches and others.
This event is open to the public, and the cost is $25 per person. There will be heavy hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar. Tickets may be purchased at fightingillini.com or by contacting Pat Kreger at (312) 575-7853 or email@example.com.
Guenther hired Weber April 30, 2003. In his eight seasons at the helm in Champaign, Ill., Weber has compiled an overall record of 193-86. His teams have gone 83-53 in the Big 10 Conference. The Fighting Illini have appeared in the NCAA post-season tournament six of his eight seasons. In the 2005 NCAA tournament, Illinois lost to North Carolina 75-70 in the national championship game.
In May 2009, Weber signed a contract extension that will keep him in Champaign through the 2014-15 season.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the May 4-10, 2011 issue