- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
OSF Saint Anthony Cancer Center offers free skin cancer screening
The OSF Saint Anthony Center for Cancer Care is offering a free skin cancer screening from 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday, May 7, at the OSF Cancer Center.
Dermatologists will check moles or lesions to determine if further medical evaluation and possible intervention are recommended.
The screening is free, but space is very limited. Appointments are required by calling (815) 227-2624. OSF Saint Anthony regrets that they may not be able to accommodate those without an appointment.
Although skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer, it can often be cured if detected early. Basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and malignant melanoma are common forms of skin cancer related to long-term exposure to sunlight.
Early warning signs of skin cancer include enlarging and darkening moles; changes in the color of an existing mole, particularly if red, white and blue pigmentation spreads to surrounding skin; changes in the consistency or shape of a pigmented spot; a red area with a scaly, crusted surface that doesn’t heal; small, shiny, firm raised growths on the skin that may ulcerate or form scabs in the center, or signs of inflammation on skin that surrounds an existing mole.
Those who are exhibiting symptoms are encouraged to attend the free screening and evaluation.
OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, a Level I Trauma Center, is owned and operated by OSF HealthCare, an affiliate corporation of The Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis, Peoria.
The Medical Center website is www.osfsaintanthony.org.
From the May 4-10, 2011 issue