- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
At least seven dead in Israel border fights
Online Staff Report
JERUSALEM — Two people were killed and more than 150 wounded as tensions along Israel’s border mounted Sunday, May 15.
Fighting is flared by Palestinian protesters, marching to mourn the birth of the Jewish state. Fighting began in Golan Heights, officials said.
According to reports from Israel, large groups of Palestinian protestors hurled bricks, stones and other debris as military forces pushed backed the mob with tear gas, rubber bullets and live weaponry.
Meantime, five are dead and more than 50 were wounded in Lebanon as Israeli forces attempted to stop protesters near the Gaza boarder.
Protesters are marking “Nakba Day,” which commemorates the more than 700,000 Arabs driven from the region when Israel became a state in 1948.