- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Baseball: Rockford RiverHawks season opener May 20
By Doug Halberstadt
The opening pitch of the Rockford RiverHawks 10th season will be thrown out this Friday (May 20) night at 7:05 p.m. The ‘Hawks open up the season with a three-game home stand against the Traverse City Beach Bums. Saturday’s game at Road Ranger Stadium is at 6:05 p.m. and the series will close out with a 2:05 p.m. Sunday matinee.
All three games come with a little something more than just the on-field action. Opening night is also Ladies night. All ladies get $3 off an $8 ticket. Fireworks will cap off every Friday night home game this season.
The first 1,000 fans through the gate on Saturday and Sunday receive a RiverHawks magnet schedule. Sunday is Family Fun Day. All children 12 and younger attending the game get tickets in any section for $2. Players will sign autographs, and kids get free train rides, sponsored by the Illinois Railway Museum.
In celebration of their 10th season, the RiverHawks are offering fans the chance to decide who is the greatest player in team history at each position, from starting pitcher to shortstop to outfield. Votes can be cast at the team website, www.rockfordriverhawks.com.
Voting will switch to a new position approximately every 7-10 days. Winners will be announced at the end of each voting period, and all will be acknowledged at a game this summer with an all-time RiverHawks poster to be given out at the June 10 game.
Single-game tickets range in price from $5 for general admission grandstand all the way up to $15 for a premium box seat in the front row, between the dugouts.
The box office opens on game days at 9 a.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. Saturday, and 11 a.m. Sunday and closes 30 minutes after each game.
Road Ranger Stadium is at 4503 Interstate Bvld. in Loves Park.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the May 18-24, 2011 issue