- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Kryptonite hosts Tom Waits tribute band May 18
Chicago-based Tom Waits tribute band B1G T1ME will perform at Kryptonite Music Lounge, 308 W. State St., Wednesday, May 18.
Tom Waits is one of the most critically acclaimed songwriters and musical stylists of the last four decades. His persona includes a Southern California troubadour (Closing Time, 1973), a lonely nightclub veteran (Nighthawks at the Diner, 1975), a Kerouac-inspired beatnik ragamuffin (Small Change, 1976), an otherworldly circus ringmaster (Swordfishtrombones, 1983), a steam-punk nightmare weaver (Bone Machine, 1992), a sage soothsayer (Mule Variations, 1999) and a fiery machine beat-boxer (Real Gone, 2004). Who knows where his artistic odyssey will take him next?
B1G T1ME integrates all of these sideshows into one authentic, whiskey-stinking, growly-howly main event, including selections spanning the Waits catalogue. Accompanied by sparse mood lighting of industrial work lamps and strange, custom instruments such as the Galvan drum and Tankophone, B1G T1ME can alter any space into a bourbon-soaked alley with music and ballads of misery and intrigue.
Kryptonite can be reached at (815) 965-0931 or online at kryptonitebar.com.
From the May 18-24, 2011 issue