- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
Kryptonite hosts Tom Waits tribute band May 18
Chicago-based Tom Waits tribute band B1G T1ME will perform at Kryptonite Music Lounge, 308 W. State St., Wednesday, May 18.
Tom Waits is one of the most critically acclaimed songwriters and musical stylists of the last four decades. His persona includes a Southern California troubadour (Closing Time, 1973), a lonely nightclub veteran (Nighthawks at the Diner, 1975), a Kerouac-inspired beatnik ragamuffin (Small Change, 1976), an otherworldly circus ringmaster (Swordfishtrombones, 1983), a steam-punk nightmare weaver (Bone Machine, 1992), a sage soothsayer (Mule Variations, 1999) and a fiery machine beat-boxer (Real Gone, 2004). Who knows where his artistic odyssey will take him next?
B1G T1ME integrates all of these sideshows into one authentic, whiskey-stinking, growly-howly main event, including selections spanning the Waits catalogue. Accompanied by sparse mood lighting of industrial work lamps and strange, custom instruments such as the Galvan drum and Tankophone, B1G T1ME can alter any space into a bourbon-soaked alley with music and ballads of misery and intrigue.
Kryptonite can be reached at (815) 965-0931 or online at kryptonitebar.com.
From the May 18-24, 2011 issue