- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Kryptonite hosts Tom Waits tribute band May 18
Chicago-based Tom Waits tribute band B1G T1ME will perform at Kryptonite Music Lounge, 308 W. State St., Wednesday, May 18.
Tom Waits is one of the most critically acclaimed songwriters and musical stylists of the last four decades. His persona includes a Southern California troubadour (Closing Time, 1973), a lonely nightclub veteran (Nighthawks at the Diner, 1975), a Kerouac-inspired beatnik ragamuffin (Small Change, 1976), an otherworldly circus ringmaster (Swordfishtrombones, 1983), a steam-punk nightmare weaver (Bone Machine, 1992), a sage soothsayer (Mule Variations, 1999) and a fiery machine beat-boxer (Real Gone, 2004). Who knows where his artistic odyssey will take him next?
B1G T1ME integrates all of these sideshows into one authentic, whiskey-stinking, growly-howly main event, including selections spanning the Waits catalogue. Accompanied by sparse mood lighting of industrial work lamps and strange, custom instruments such as the Galvan drum and Tankophone, B1G T1ME can alter any space into a bourbon-soaked alley with music and ballads of misery and intrigue.
Kryptonite can be reached at (815) 965-0931 or online at kryptonitebar.com.
From the May 18-24, 2011 issue