- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
- TRRT Online Edition | July 29-August 4
- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
Lisa Frost receives NIU Outstanding Alumni Award
The 2011 recipient of the Outstanding Alumni Award for the College of Visual and Performing Arts was Lisa Frost, a 1993 graduate.
A nationally-recognized artist, Frost’s mission is “to spread cheer throughout the land.” With her whimsical artwork internationally distributed and her sunny creativity broadcast through regular appearances on radio and TV programs, she is well on her way toward completing her mission.
Frost is the owner of Lisa Frost Studio in Rockford. As a Rockford native and current resident, she is dedicated to her art and to giving back to her community. Following her graduation in 1993, Frost was employed as an art teacher in Oswego, Ill., and Rockford. An enthusiastic educator and advocate of community arts partnerships and district-wide enrichment programming, her dedication was recognized when she was named an Educator of the Year by 21st Century Magazine in 1999.
In the summer of 2001, she joined the staff of NIU’s Visual Arts Camp for high school students as a painting instructor. Her involvement that summer led her to create a new way to support both young artists and her alma mater.
In 2004, she held the inaugural Frost & Friends holiday shopping event in Rockford, using the proceeds to fund scholarships for Rockford-area high school students to attend the summer camp. Over the years, the proceeds from this highly-celebrated and attended community event have been used to fully fund more than 30 scholarships.
From the May 18-24-2011 issue