- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Winnebago County Animal Services Volunteer Auxiliary to hold free classes
The Winnebago County Animal Services Volunteer Auxiliary is sponsoring six Public Awareness sessions on topics ranging from wildlife and dog training to answers about pet health. Join WCAS for the first session from 6 to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 25. Learn how Animal Services works with the Hoo Haven Wildlife Rehab and Education Center as well as other wildlife issues and concerns.
All sessions are free to the public, and reservations are required as seating is limited. Make your reservation for any one or all of the sessions by calling Sara at (815) 319-4106. Sessions are held at Winnebago County Animal Services, 4517 N. Main St. in Rockford from 6 to 7 p.m. Children younger than 18 must attend with a parent. Please do not bring your pets.
May 25—Hoo Haven Wildlife Rehab and Education Center: Hoo Haven will discuss and answer your questions on wildlife-related issues and concerns.
June 22—Keeping Your Pet Safe & at Home: Topics include car safety, household poisons, how to avoid losing your pet, and what to do if they do get lost.
July 27—Basic Dog Training Tips: Topics include leash control, proper collars and how to use them, teaching dogs to come when called, stop unwanted pulling on a walk, and understanding distractions. (Please do not bring your dog.)
Aug. 24—Ask the Veterinarian: Important information about vaccinations, yearly check-ups, preventing heartworm, fleas and ticks, and weight management. Question and answer session the last half-hour.
Sept. 28—Understanding the Breed: Pitbulls.
Oct. 26—Feline Facts & Myths: Facts about multiple cat households, litter box issues, declawing, spaying/neutering and much more!
From the May 18-24, 2011 issue