- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Brita Climate Ride underway
Online Staff Report
Hundreds of cyclists participated in the Brita Climate Ride May 13-17, pedaling from New York City to Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., for greater action on climate change.
Speaker at Tuesday’s rally portion of the event included climate expert Bill McKibben; Keith Laughlin, president of Rails-to-Trails;Alisa Gravitz, Executive Director, Green America; and two members of Congress — Sen. Ben Cardin (D, MD) and Reps. Donna Edwards (D, MD). Both denounced the annual subsidies to the oil and gas and nuclear industries.
Laughlin called for “burning calories, not carbon,” while Cardin joked that “riders belong on the streets, not attached to appropriations bills,” and Gravitz shared the latest on Green America’s work to make Clean Energy Victory Bonds a reality.
Climate Ride is a nonprofit organization that puts on fully supported, charitable bike rides to support sustainable solutions and environmental causes. The next journey will be from Eureka, Calif., to San Francisco Oct. 2-6.
More information is at climateride.org.