- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Belvidere family chosen for Habitat home
Habitat for Humanity of Boone County has purchased a lot and selected a partner family for 2011.
Ana Moreno and her three children—Yatzari, 10, Lizette, 8, and Alaksis Galvez, 5—have been selected as the partner family for the 2011 Habitat home to be built at 707 Pearl St., Belvidere, Ill.
Ana is employed by Ventra, a parts supplier for Chrysler, and has lived in Belvidere since 2007.
A home with three bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room is in the planning stages. A groundbreaking ceremony is set for 4 p.m., Friday, May 27. Belvidere Mayor Fred Brereton will be attending.
Many construction volunteers will be needed. Volunteers are also needed to complete administrative duties (such as record-keeping and data input), pickup and delivery of building materials and supplies, and providing lunches for the Saturday work crews. If you would like to volunteer, call (815) 288-6382 and leave a message with your phone number and a good time to contact you. You can also send an e-mail to email@example.com.
From the May 25-31, 2011 issue