- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Fishing: State bass fishing tournament may occur in June
By Doug Halberstadt
The following information was provided to me earlier this week as a result of a story I wrote concerning the Rockford Boylan Catholic High School and Rockford Lutheran High School bass fishing teams. Both are on standby awaiting their opportunity to win a state championship.
According to IHSA Associate Executive Director and Bass Fishing Administrator Kurt Gibson: “The IHSA is continuing to monitor water levels at Carlyle Lake and discussing the situation with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Carlyle as well as City of Carlyle officials in attempts to find a date for rescheduling the event. At this point, it is still too early to know with certainty at what point the lake will recede enough to allow for a safe competition. However, the weekends of June 17-18 and June 24-25 are currently being targeted as potential state final dates.
“Recognizing that these weekends are in the summer and may not allow for some competing boats to participate, we are reaching out to the qualifying schools in an attempt to find out if either weekend would be more optimal in maximizing the number of competitors able to attend.
“We anticipate that we will announce the new state final date on or before June 3.”
Both area teams qualified in April for a right to compete at the state tournament earlier this month. As a result of flooding conditions and high water levels at Carlyle Lake in southern Illinois, the tournament had to be postponed.
I will make every effort to update this story as information becomes available.
E-mail Doug Halberstadt at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the May 25-31, 2011 issue