- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
La Voz Latina awards scholarships to 12 students
La Voz Latina, an advocacy and education resource center, awarded 12 scholarships to Boone and Winnebago County graduating seniors at the La Voz Latina Scholarship Ceremony May 9 at La Voz Latina’s Community Room, 412 Market St., Rockford. For more than 15 years, La Voz Latina’s scholarship program has recognized the outstanding achievements of Latino youth and helped remove financial barriers to higher education.
This year’s recipients are Martha Carreno, Rockford Guilford High School; Gema Delgado, Rockford Jefferson High School; Naomi Flores, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Benito Garcia, ACE High School; Claudia Gomez, Rockford Boylan Catholic High School; Jesse Jimenez, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Paulina Luna, Rockford East High School; Antonio Medina, Rockford Guilford High School; Eva Montano, Keith Country Day School; Vanessa Nieva, Rockford Auburn High School; Neris Sandoval, Rockford Guilford High School; and Thalia Torres, ACE High School.
From the June 1-7, 2011 issue