- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
La Voz Latina awards scholarships to 12 students
La Voz Latina, an advocacy and education resource center, awarded 12 scholarships to Boone and Winnebago County graduating seniors at the La Voz Latina Scholarship Ceremony May 9 at La Voz Latina’s Community Room, 412 Market St., Rockford. For more than 15 years, La Voz Latina’s scholarship program has recognized the outstanding achievements of Latino youth and helped remove financial barriers to higher education.
This year’s recipients are Martha Carreno, Rockford Guilford High School; Gema Delgado, Rockford Jefferson High School; Naomi Flores, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Benito Garcia, ACE High School; Claudia Gomez, Rockford Boylan Catholic High School; Jesse Jimenez, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Paulina Luna, Rockford East High School; Antonio Medina, Rockford Guilford High School; Eva Montano, Keith Country Day School; Vanessa Nieva, Rockford Auburn High School; Neris Sandoval, Rockford Guilford High School; and Thalia Torres, ACE High School.
From the June 1-7, 2011 issue