- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
La Voz Latina awards scholarships to 12 students
La Voz Latina, an advocacy and education resource center, awarded 12 scholarships to Boone and Winnebago County graduating seniors at the La Voz Latina Scholarship Ceremony May 9 at La Voz Latina’s Community Room, 412 Market St., Rockford. For more than 15 years, La Voz Latina’s scholarship program has recognized the outstanding achievements of Latino youth and helped remove financial barriers to higher education.
This year’s recipients are Martha Carreno, Rockford Guilford High School; Gema Delgado, Rockford Jefferson High School; Naomi Flores, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Benito Garcia, ACE High School; Claudia Gomez, Rockford Boylan Catholic High School; Jesse Jimenez, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Paulina Luna, Rockford East High School; Antonio Medina, Rockford Guilford High School; Eva Montano, Keith Country Day School; Vanessa Nieva, Rockford Auburn High School; Neris Sandoval, Rockford Guilford High School; and Thalia Torres, ACE High School.
From the June 1-7, 2011 issue