- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
La Voz Latina awards scholarships to 12 students
La Voz Latina, an advocacy and education resource center, awarded 12 scholarships to Boone and Winnebago County graduating seniors at the La Voz Latina Scholarship Ceremony May 9 at La Voz Latina’s Community Room, 412 Market St., Rockford. For more than 15 years, La Voz Latina’s scholarship program has recognized the outstanding achievements of Latino youth and helped remove financial barriers to higher education.
This year’s recipients are Martha Carreno, Rockford Guilford High School; Gema Delgado, Rockford Jefferson High School; Naomi Flores, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Benito Garcia, ACE High School; Claudia Gomez, Rockford Boylan Catholic High School; Jesse Jimenez, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Paulina Luna, Rockford East High School; Antonio Medina, Rockford Guilford High School; Eva Montano, Keith Country Day School; Vanessa Nieva, Rockford Auburn High School; Neris Sandoval, Rockford Guilford High School; and Thalia Torres, ACE High School.
From the June 1-7, 2011 issue