- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
- Pet Talk: Healthy pets make for a happy holiday
- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
Prep Baseball: Titans slug their way to regional crown
By Matt Nestor
The Boylan Titans’ baseball team was the heavy favorite heading into the IHSA Class 4A regional round.
If coming in as the regular-season NIC-10 champions wasn’t enough, the Titans also were able to host the regional games.
So, it was shocking when Boylan entered the bottom of the seventh inning of their first game against Guilford trailing by a score of 3-2.
But the Vikings were not able to hold, with Mark Garton blasting a 2-run home run in the seventh to send Boylan to the victory.
The Hononegah Indians had a much easier time making the regional final, coming in as the third seed, but scoring 8 runs in the second inning, which Jake Lanning had no problem holding as the Indians won 8-4.
That set up another showdown between the two baseball powerhouses with the regional title on the line again.
This year, the Titans were up to the challenge. Jason Painter hit a first-inning grand slam to give Boylan an early lead.
Pitcher Bryan Engelsen then came in and only allowed one hit over four innings of relief, picking up the victory and the championship for Boylan, 7-6.
The Titans move on to the DeKalb regional, where they will take on Streamwood June 1. Steamwood was the winner of the Hoffman Estates regional, defeating South Elgin in 11 innings to move on.
From June 1-7, 2011 issue