- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
RVC student receives numerous prestigious honors
Rock Valley College (RVC) student Stacey Slintak has been named to the All-USA Community College Academic Team. Only 20 students from more than 1,600 nominations were selected, and Slintak is the first RVC student to ever achieve this prestigious honor. The All-USA Community College Academic Team is presented by USA Today and Phi Theta Kappa (the official honor society of two-year colleges) and is sponsored by Follett Higher Education Group.
Slintak was featured in the USA Today newspaper and was presented a $2,500 scholarship and a special medallion at Phi Theta Kappa’s Presidents Breakfast held during the annual American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) Convention April 11 in New Orleans.
As the top scorer from the state of Illinois, Slintak was also recognized as a Coca-Cola New Century Scholar. This honor, sponsored by the Coca-Cola Foundation and Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, included an additional $2,000 scholarship and was also presented to Slintak in a special ceremony at the AACC convention in New Orleans.
Slintak also received the Guistwhite Scholarship, which is considered the highest Phi Theta Kappa recognition. Because of her academic achievement and leadership in Phi Theta Kappa, she will receive $5,000 for completion of her baccalaureate studies.
Nov. 6, 2010, Slintak also accepted a medallion from Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) for being named the 2010 Lincoln Academy Student Laureate for community colleges. The Lincoln Academy’s Student Laureate awards are presented to college students each year for excellence in curricular and extracurricular activities. Only one community college student is honored each year, and she is also the first in RVC’s history to receive that award.
From the June 1-7, 2011 issue