- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
Answers to Horse Racing Quiz
Answers to Horse Racing Quiz No. 2
1. (c) Appaloosas. The breed itself is a fortunate survivor, since they were once marked for extermination by the U.S. government.
2. (d) Calvin Borel, who won the 2009 Kentucky Derby with Mine That Bird, switched to filly Rachel Alexandra for the next race, and they won the Preakness.
3. (b) Ferdinand. An outrage to both racing fans and humanitarians, 1986 Derby winner Ferdinand was sold in 1994 to a Japanese company, which sold him for meat. According to the USDA, 92 percent of horses going to slaughter every year are young, healthy horses that could easily go on to second careers and new homes.
4. (a) Forward Pass. In 1968, Dancer’s Image was a clear winner until hours later, a urinalysis tested positive for phenylbutazone, resulting in a post-race disqualification. The drug was legal at some tracks, but Churchill Downs was not yet one of them. Ironically, the pain-relieving drug is now in common usage.
5. (c) Quarter Horses, (d) Standardbreds–harness racing; and (e) Appaloosas.
6. (a) Bold Ruler. And lest we neglect to credit the feminine side, his dam was Somethingroyal.
7. (e) maiden
8. (b) Lipizzaners. Their story was told in the 1963 Disney film Miracle of the White Stallions, starring Robert Taylor as Col. Alois Podhajsky, who engineered the rescue operation.
9. (c) Sir Barton Stakes, renamed as the Barbaro Stakes for the 2006 Kentucky Derby winner who was injured in the Preakness. In his valiant struggle for survival following complications of a broken leg, he won the hearts of a nation and inspired many.
10. (d) Breeder’s Cup, which is run in September.
From the June 8-14, 2011 issue