- TRRT Online Edition | May 6-12
- RRI: The Names frontman Dave Galluzzo
- Madigan sues companies of student loan debt scams
- State Roundup: Gambling expansion hearing highlights two possible bills
- Rauner to Smiddy: No debate for you
- State Roundup: Moody’s: Regardless of reform, Chicago pension will grow for years
- State Roundup: State could see up to $500 million in unexpected revenue for current FY
- Tax revenues up, Rauner to restore $26 million ‘Good Friday’ cuts
- First Friday Lineup: May 1
- State Roundup: Former governor Walker passes away
Local pilot inducted into state Aviation Hall of Fame
Francis “Nick” Lung, a local pilot and member of Rockford Chapter 22 of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), has been inducted into the 2011 Illinois Aviation Hall of Fame. He has the following ratings: CFII, CFII Multi Engine, Commercial Glider, Sea Plane, ASEL, ASMEL, British Private Pilot, Flight Engineer (Reciprocating and Jet). Type ratings: DC-3, DC-6, DC-7, Boeing 727, DC-10.
Lung started the Ogle County Pilots Association in 1975 and was the first president. He served for many years as secretary and is now on the board of directors. He started the Ogle County Airport (C-55) in 1978 and was a founding member of the Rock River Flyers. He started flying for the Ogle County Sheriff’s Department in 1984 and was their primary pilot on a volunteer basis until 2005.
He has been newsletter editor for Chapter 22 EAA since 1966 and served as chief judge of ultralights and light planes for 12 years. He was newsletter editor for Ogle County Pilots from 1976 to 1990. He received the Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award in June 2006, and the Frank Murray Award from EAA 22 in 2005 for volunteer work within the chapter. He is in charge of the EAA aircraft raffle at the convention, which he helped start in Rockford.
In 1953, he was a USAF pilot in Korea, flying F-86s. He completed 12 solo crossings of the Atlantic in single-engine jets and is a charter member of the F-86 Sabre Pilots Association.
From the June 8-14, 2011 issue