- Forest-preserve sex sting nets 10
- Armed robbery reported at Machesney Park CVS
- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
Local pilot inducted into state Aviation Hall of Fame
Francis “Nick” Lung, a local pilot and member of Rockford Chapter 22 of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), has been inducted into the 2011 Illinois Aviation Hall of Fame. He has the following ratings: CFII, CFII Multi Engine, Commercial Glider, Sea Plane, ASEL, ASMEL, British Private Pilot, Flight Engineer (Reciprocating and Jet). Type ratings: DC-3, DC-6, DC-7, Boeing 727, DC-10.
Lung started the Ogle County Pilots Association in 1975 and was the first president. He served for many years as secretary and is now on the board of directors. He started the Ogle County Airport (C-55) in 1978 and was a founding member of the Rock River Flyers. He started flying for the Ogle County Sheriff’s Department in 1984 and was their primary pilot on a volunteer basis until 2005.
He has been newsletter editor for Chapter 22 EAA since 1966 and served as chief judge of ultralights and light planes for 12 years. He was newsletter editor for Ogle County Pilots from 1976 to 1990. He received the Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award in June 2006, and the Frank Murray Award from EAA 22 in 2005 for volunteer work within the chapter. He is in charge of the EAA aircraft raffle at the convention, which he helped start in Rockford.
In 1953, he was a USAF pilot in Korea, flying F-86s. He completed 12 solo crossings of the Atlantic in single-engine jets and is a charter member of the F-86 Sabre Pilots Association.
From the June 8-14, 2011 issue