- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
Rockford Foresters look to defend league title
By Doug Halberstadt
In their first season of existence, they won the league championship. This year, they will be playing with the added pressure of trying to make it two in a row. The Rockford Foresters are back in full swing for their second season at Marinelli Field this year.
The Rockford Foresters are a member of the Midwest Collegiate League, which is a summer collegiate wood bat baseball league based in northern Illinois and Indiana. Going into their second season, the team comes off winning the league’s championship. The Rockford Foresters play at the historic 2,300-seat Marinelli Field on Rockford’s south side. The Rockford Park District owns the ballpark.
Joe Stefani is the majority owner of the team. He owns 60 percent of the franchise. The remaining 40 percent is owned by a group of investors. The 29-year-old Stefani is the youngest majority owner of a sports team in the United States.
The Foresters opened up their sophomore season by winning two out of three games against the Southland Vikings last Friday and Saturday, June 3-4. They split the two games Friday. The Foresters won the first game 6-5 and dropped the second, 11-1. On Saturday, they blanked the Vikings 10-0.
They followed that up with two games against the Chicago Zephyrs on Sunday and yesterday (results of those games were unavailable at press time).
Fans can catch the Foresters at home tonight (Wednesday, June 8) as they take on the Will County Crackerjacks. Game time is 7 p.m. Individual game tickets begin at $5 for family seating, and the best seats in the park are only $9 each.
For more information about the Foresters or to reserve tickets, fans can call their front office at (815) 312-2115.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 8-14, 2011 issue