- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Youth Golf: Birdies for Charity donations to benefit youth golf programs
Rockford Park District introduces and teaches the lifetime leisure sport of golf to thousands of area youth players ages 5 and older each year through a variety of lesson, development, clinic and tournament programs, and has created a junior golf program of the highest caliber. To continue the growth of junior golf, the Park District has joined with the John Deere Classic Birdies for Charity Program, which was established to support the continuing efforts of the John Deere Classic golf tournament, and to provide bonus dollars to participating charities. The 2010 Birdies for Charity Campaign raised almost $500 for the Rockford Park District Youth Golf Programs.
There are two ways to help raise funds—simply pledge a one-time donation, or pledge 1 cent or more per birdie that will be made Wednesday-Sunday, July 6-10, at the Classic by the PGA Tour Pros. A grand prize will be given by the John Deere Classic to the person who guesses the correct number. (In case of ties, winners will be randomly selected.) Pledges are also being collected by area golfers.
The Birdies for Charities Program will be responsible for collecting the generous donations of all supporters. The Rockford Park District will receive every penny of the donations from this program, plus a bonus, which has historically been a 5 to 10 percent match. These donations and bonus dollars will help support the Rockford Park District youth programs. Pledge forms must be received at the tournament office by July 8. All pledges are tax-deductible.
The Birdies for Charity brochure containing the pledge form is downloadable at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/golf (click on John Deere Birdies for Charity Program), and are available soon at Rockford Park District golf courses and Customer Service locations.
For more information, contact Nancy Joan Kauzlarich, manager of Golf Services, at (815) 987-8856 or e-mail email@example.com.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue