- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Black Male Health Committee fund-raiser June 23
In recognition of National Men’s Health Month, and to spotlight local health promotion and prevention services for men, the Winnebago County Health Department Black Male Health Community Action Team presents its eighth annual fund-raiser banquet the evening of Thursday, June 23, at Klehm Arboretum.
Reservation deadline is June 21. Individual tickets are $25, and a reserved table for eight is $200. Contact Mark Hunter at (815) 720-4268 to make a reservation.
The keynote speaker is author, essayist and activist Kevin Powell. Powell is also a writer, public speaker and businessman. In 2010, he was a Democratic candidate for Congress in Brooklyn, N.Y.
A product of extreme poverty, welfare, fatherlessness and a single mother-led household, Powell is a native of Jersey City, N.J., and was educated at New Jersey’s Rutgers University. A long-time resident of Brooklyn, Powell has published 10 books, including his new title, Open Letters to America (Soft Skull Press). Kevin was a cast member on the first season of MTV’s The Real World, and has hosted and produced programming for HBO and BET.
Powell will also be the featured guest at the Black Male Health Committee’s Black African-American Male Seminar from 1 to 3 p.m., Thursday, June 23, at Liberty Baptist Church, 3500 Preston St., Rockford.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue