- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Fishing: Park District offers fishing clinic beginning June 29
By Doug Halberstadt
The Rockford Park District is going out on a line—a fishing line, that is. They are providing kids ages 8-14 the opportunity to learn more about the sport of fishing.
The Park District is registering participants for their Get Hooked on Fishing clinic. The series will last four weeks. The 1-1/2-hour learning sessions will be from 6:30 to 8 p.m., Wednesdays, June 29-July 20. The clinics will take place alongside the ponds at Sportscore One, 1288 Elmwood Road, Rockford.
Each week, participants will work with pro fishermen who will be covering topics like safety, casting and retrieving, knot tying, baiting the hook, and much more. After the four weeks, the clinic will culminate with a fishing derby, which will be from 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday, July 30. Participants can show off their new skills, reel ’em in, and compete for prizes
Registration is required by June 24, along with a participation fee of $30 for residents and $45 for non-residents. Space is limited. All you need to bring is a fishing pole; bait and tackle will be provided. Parents are welcome to attend and even fish, with proof of an Illinois Fishing License.
Register by mail, phone (with credit card), or in person at Rockford Park District Customer Service: 401 S. Main St., Rockford, or at Carlson Ice Arena, Riverside and Perryville, Loves Park. For more information, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org or call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue