- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
- Tube Talk: A bite out of the competition
- Rockford Rocked: A chat with local musician Tony Walker
- Drafts & Fare: Women brewers find more recognition in market
Fishing: Park District offers fishing clinic beginning June 29
By Doug Halberstadt
The Rockford Park District is going out on a line—a fishing line, that is. They are providing kids ages 8-14 the opportunity to learn more about the sport of fishing.
The Park District is registering participants for their Get Hooked on Fishing clinic. The series will last four weeks. The 1-1/2-hour learning sessions will be from 6:30 to 8 p.m., Wednesdays, June 29-July 20. The clinics will take place alongside the ponds at Sportscore One, 1288 Elmwood Road, Rockford.
Each week, participants will work with pro fishermen who will be covering topics like safety, casting and retrieving, knot tying, baiting the hook, and much more. After the four weeks, the clinic will culminate with a fishing derby, which will be from 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday, July 30. Participants can show off their new skills, reel ’em in, and compete for prizes
Registration is required by June 24, along with a participation fee of $30 for residents and $45 for non-residents. Space is limited. All you need to bring is a fishing pole; bait and tackle will be provided. Parents are welcome to attend and even fish, with proof of an Illinois Fishing License.
Register by mail, phone (with credit card), or in person at Rockford Park District Customer Service: 401 S. Main St., Rockford, or at Carlson Ice Arena, Riverside and Perryville, Loves Park. For more information, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org or call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue