- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
Fishing: Park District offers fishing clinic beginning June 29
By Doug Halberstadt
The Rockford Park District is going out on a line—a fishing line, that is. They are providing kids ages 8-14 the opportunity to learn more about the sport of fishing.
The Park District is registering participants for their Get Hooked on Fishing clinic. The series will last four weeks. The 1-1/2-hour learning sessions will be from 6:30 to 8 p.m., Wednesdays, June 29-July 20. The clinics will take place alongside the ponds at Sportscore One, 1288 Elmwood Road, Rockford.
Each week, participants will work with pro fishermen who will be covering topics like safety, casting and retrieving, knot tying, baiting the hook, and much more. After the four weeks, the clinic will culminate with a fishing derby, which will be from 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday, July 30. Participants can show off their new skills, reel ’em in, and compete for prizes
Registration is required by June 24, along with a participation fee of $30 for residents and $45 for non-residents. Space is limited. All you need to bring is a fishing pole; bait and tackle will be provided. Parents are welcome to attend and even fish, with proof of an Illinois Fishing License.
Register by mail, phone (with credit card), or in person at Rockford Park District Customer Service: 401 S. Main St., Rockford, or at Carlson Ice Arena, Riverside and Perryville, Loves Park. For more information, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org or call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue