- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
Swedish Midsommar Fest set for June 18
In Sweden, Midsommar is the celebration of the summer solstice. Visit the Erlander Museum from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, June 18, and participate in this annual summer event.
The Erlander Museum is at 404 S. Third St., Rockford. Many events will take place outdoors in the area surrounding the museum.
Enjoy a fun-filled day as the Swedish Historical Society celebrates the Swedish tradition of Midsummer (Midsommar). Taste great foods like open-face and meatball sandwiches, hot dogs, strawberries and ice cream, coffee cake, Swedish pancakes and more. Numerous vendors will display their talents and sell their wares. The Swedish Historical Park across the street from the museum will have continuous activities for children of all ages, including the game of Kubb, throughout the day.
Sit in the shade and listen to numerous entertainers. Raising the Maypole (majstang) will be a joyous event at noon with singing and dancing. Everyone is welcome to participate in this fun activity. Enjoy the Erlander garden for a quiet place to eat and enjoy soft music.
A special preview of the Quilt Exhibit for the Northern Illinois Quilt Fest will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Erlander Home Museum at Midsommar.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue