- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Swedish Midsommar Fest set for June 18
In Sweden, Midsommar is the celebration of the summer solstice. Visit the Erlander Museum from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, June 18, and participate in this annual summer event.
The Erlander Museum is at 404 S. Third St., Rockford. Many events will take place outdoors in the area surrounding the museum.
Enjoy a fun-filled day as the Swedish Historical Society celebrates the Swedish tradition of Midsummer (Midsommar). Taste great foods like open-face and meatball sandwiches, hot dogs, strawberries and ice cream, coffee cake, Swedish pancakes and more. Numerous vendors will display their talents and sell their wares. The Swedish Historical Park across the street from the museum will have continuous activities for children of all ages, including the game of Kubb, throughout the day.
Sit in the shade and listen to numerous entertainers. Raising the Maypole (majstang) will be a joyous event at noon with singing and dancing. Everyone is welcome to participate in this fun activity. Enjoy the Erlander garden for a quiet place to eat and enjoy soft music.
A special preview of the Quilt Exhibit for the Northern Illinois Quilt Fest will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Erlander Home Museum at Midsommar.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue