- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Swedish Midsommar Fest set for June 18
In Sweden, Midsommar is the celebration of the summer solstice. Visit the Erlander Museum from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, June 18, and participate in this annual summer event.
The Erlander Museum is at 404 S. Third St., Rockford. Many events will take place outdoors in the area surrounding the museum.
Enjoy a fun-filled day as the Swedish Historical Society celebrates the Swedish tradition of Midsummer (Midsommar). Taste great foods like open-face and meatball sandwiches, hot dogs, strawberries and ice cream, coffee cake, Swedish pancakes and more. Numerous vendors will display their talents and sell their wares. The Swedish Historical Park across the street from the museum will have continuous activities for children of all ages, including the game of Kubb, throughout the day.
Sit in the shade and listen to numerous entertainers. Raising the Maypole (majstang) will be a joyous event at noon with singing and dancing. Everyone is welcome to participate in this fun activity. Enjoy the Erlander garden for a quiet place to eat and enjoy soft music.
A special preview of the Quilt Exhibit for the Northern Illinois Quilt Fest will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Erlander Home Museum at Midsommar.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue