- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
Motorsports: Wednesday racing returns to Rockford Speedway June 15
By Doug Halberstadt
One of the sure signs of summer for decades in this area is the return of Wednesday night racing at the Rockford Speedway. The first Wild Wednesday night of the 2011 season is tonight, June 15.
The high-banked, quarter-mile oval at the corner of Route 173 and Forest Hills will host several classes of cars tonight. The new-look Bandits and Misfits will join the perennial fan favorite RoadRunner Super Summer Series. The Winged Women on Wheels will be back for another season.
Wednesday nights have always meant Figure 8 racing and spectacular drags, and this year will be no exception. This week, the Legends and the Bandoleros will help get the mid-week racing season under way.
In addition to all of the action on the track, fans are encouraged to bring out their classic cars for the first Cruise Night of the 2011 season.
Spectator gates open at 5:30 with racing at 7:07 p.m. Adult tickets are $8, students $6, ages 6-11 $4, and children 5 and younger are admitted free.
For more information or to reserve tickets for tonight’s races or for the upcoming (Saturday, June 18) Original Trailer Race of Destruction, fans can either go online at www.rockfordspeedway.com or by calling the Rockford Speedway box office at (815) 633-1500.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue