- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Winnebago resident serves mission for church
During the past two years, Jordan Johnson of Winnebago, Ill., has been in Tampa, Fla., serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. After an intense two weeks of training in the Missionary Training Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, Johnson left for Florida May 24, 2009. Along with teaching people about Jesus Christ and His restored gospel, Johnson put in time for service, exercise, scripture/gospel study and teaching. Service in the community ranged from yard work around a hospital to assisting with food pantries.
The areas he served in were: Dade City, Gulf Port, St. Petersburg, Winter Haven and Tampa. During his stay, he used vehicles, bicycles and, in some cases, walked. He noted great contrasts in standards of living in the communities; he also found the humid summer weather an additional challenge. There were times of discouragement with the language barrier of Spanish, Haitian, Bosnian and Cambodian descent, but overall, he felt it was a great experience.
Jordan is the youngest son of Dr. William and Donna Johnson. This summer, he will continue his studies at Brigham Young University, Rexburg, Idaho. He plans to explore the nursing aspect of the medical field.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the June 15-21, 2011 issue