- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Park District offers fishing clinic
A hook, line and sinker can provide hours of fun this summer. The Rockford Park District is currently registering participants for the Get Hooked fishing clinic, which is a four-week, 1-1/2-hour clinic held Wednesdays starting June 29 through July 20 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. The fishing clinic takes place alongside the ponds at Sportscore One, 1288 Elmwood Road, Rockford.
This is for anyone ages 8-14 who already loves fishing but wants to learn more about the sport or who wants to try something entirely new. Each week, participants will work with pro fishermen who cover topics like safety, casting and retrieving, knot tying, baiting the hook, and more. After four weeks, a fishing derby will be held from 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday, July 30. Participants can show off their new skills, reel ’em in, and compete for prizes.
Registration is required by June 24, along with a participation fee of $30 for residents and $45 for non-residents. All you need to bring is a fishing pole; bait and tackle will be provided. Parents are welcome to attend and even fish, with proof of an Illinois Fishing License.
Register by mail, phone (with credit card), or in person at Rockford Park District Customer Service: 401 S. Main St., Rockford, or at Carlson Ice Arena, Riverside and Perryville, Loves Park. For more information, visit rockfordpark-district.org or call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800, where information about disability-related support is also available.
From the June 22-28 issue