- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Rockford native wins Fulbright assistantship
Hannah Muther, a senior at Washington and Lee University from Rockford, has won an English teaching assistantship in Germany from the prestigious Fulbright Program.
Muther is a double major in German and politics. As a Fulbright English teaching assistant, she will be living in Saxony, Germany, formerly a state of East Germany. In addition to teaching English as a second language, she will examine Germans’ attitudes toward political parties by examining interviews and scientific data regarding voter behavior.
“Though German students have remarkable access to American culture through the media, I want to challenge the students to reach a fuller, more realistic understanding of life in the United States, and I hope that this experience will enhance their study of English,” said Muther, who graduated from Rockford Lutheran High School.
From the June 22-28 issue