- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
Rockford native wins Fulbright assistantship
Hannah Muther, a senior at Washington and Lee University from Rockford, has won an English teaching assistantship in Germany from the prestigious Fulbright Program.
Muther is a double major in German and politics. As a Fulbright English teaching assistant, she will be living in Saxony, Germany, formerly a state of East Germany. In addition to teaching English as a second language, she will examine Germans’ attitudes toward political parties by examining interviews and scientific data regarding voter behavior.
“Though German students have remarkable access to American culture through the media, I want to challenge the students to reach a fuller, more realistic understanding of life in the United States, and I hope that this experience will enhance their study of English,” said Muther, who graduated from Rockford Lutheran High School.
From the June 22-28 issue