- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Rockford native wins Fulbright assistantship
Hannah Muther, a senior at Washington and Lee University from Rockford, has won an English teaching assistantship in Germany from the prestigious Fulbright Program.
Muther is a double major in German and politics. As a Fulbright English teaching assistant, she will be living in Saxony, Germany, formerly a state of East Germany. In addition to teaching English as a second language, she will examine Germans’ attitudes toward political parties by examining interviews and scientific data regarding voter behavior.
“Though German students have remarkable access to American culture through the media, I want to challenge the students to reach a fuller, more realistic understanding of life in the United States, and I hope that this experience will enhance their study of English,” said Muther, who graduated from Rockford Lutheran High School.
From the June 22-28 issue