Halberstadt: Running: Join ‘Team Sweetness’ in Chicago Marathon
By Doug Halberstadt
The 34th running of the Chicago Marathon will be Sunday, Oct. 9. Although the general registration period for the race is closed, I have recently been made aware of a way runners can still participate in this elite event.
The Walter & Connie Payton Foundation and The Jarrett Payton Foundation have teamed up in 2011 to create “Team Sweetness.” They have been recognized as an official participating charity in the upcoming 2011 Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Team Sweetness has secured more than a dozen post-close entries and they are looking for runners to join their team. The deadline to join this team has been extended through tomorrow (June 30).
The Payton family is encouraging Rockford area runners to join Team Sweetness—proceeds from runners’ fund-raising efforts will be directed to both foundations, which help abused, bullied, neglected and underprivileged children.
“My dad always said if you can catch a child at a young age, you can really change a life,” said Jarrett Payton. “There is a passion we share in my family — providing opportunity for abused, neglected and underprivileged children to get a boost in their self-esteem and a reason to believe that tomorrow can be different — tomorrow can be a better day.”
Running with Team Sweetness
- New registrants must pay a $34 Team Sweetness registration fee and pledge to raise funds in the amount of $1,100; new registrant entries must be received by June 30. Half the minimum fund-raising commitment is due Oct. 1; full fund-raising commitment is due Nov. 11.
- Already registered Chicago Marathon participants must pay a $34 Team Sweetness registration fee and pledge to raise funds in the amount of $400. Half the minimum fund-raising commitment is due Oct. 1; full fund-raising commitment is due Nov. 11.
Additional benefits of joining Team Sweetness include the following:
- Special pre-race pasta dinner the evening before the race hosted by the Walter & Connie Payton Foundation and The Jarrett Payton Foundation.
- Connie, Jarrett and Brittney Payton will be on hand to meet and support the Team Sweetness runners.
- Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA) Marathon Training Program discounted rate.
- Official Team Sweetness T-Shirt or Singlet
- Fund-raising tips and personal online fund-raising page to aid your fund-raising efforts.
- Other fundraising and special prizes to be given out between now and race day.
All entries into the race are non-refundable or transferable according to the rules of the Chicago Marathon. Non-runners are also welcome to participate by becoming a Team Sweetness volunteer. For more information, visit www.teamsweetness.com.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 29-July 5, 2011 issue
Print This Article