- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Veterans Association awards scholarships
The Winnebago County Veterans Association has awarded scholarships to four graduating seniors from Winnebago County. Thirty-five graduates, 17 girls and 18 boys, competed for two $100 and two $500 scholarships.
Winners this year were Jeff Jacobson, $500, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Taylor Hughes, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; James Tammen, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; and Rachel Miller, $500, Keith Country Day School.
Funds are drawn from a designed Camp Grant Fund held by the City of Rockford. Applicants had to be a relative of an honorably-discharged veteran. Graduates were judged on grade-point average, ACT scores, participation in community service, school activities, work experience, references and two short essays.
From the July 6-12, 2011, issue