- Omnibus police reform bill passes House
- Senate refuses Rauner on lawsuits, property taxes
- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
Veterans Association awards scholarships
The Winnebago County Veterans Association has awarded scholarships to four graduating seniors from Winnebago County. Thirty-five graduates, 17 girls and 18 boys, competed for two $100 and two $500 scholarships.
Winners this year were Jeff Jacobson, $500, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Taylor Hughes, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; James Tammen, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; and Rachel Miller, $500, Keith Country Day School.
Funds are drawn from a designed Camp Grant Fund held by the City of Rockford. Applicants had to be a relative of an honorably-discharged veteran. Graduates were judged on grade-point average, ACT scores, participation in community service, school activities, work experience, references and two short essays.
From the July 6-12, 2011, issue