- Phishing scam targets I-PASS users
- 3rd Street bridge structurally deficient, to be closed March 19
- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
Veterans Association awards scholarships
The Winnebago County Veterans Association has awarded scholarships to four graduating seniors from Winnebago County. Thirty-five graduates, 17 girls and 18 boys, competed for two $100 and two $500 scholarships.
Winners this year were Jeff Jacobson, $500, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Taylor Hughes, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; James Tammen, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; and Rachel Miller, $500, Keith Country Day School.
Funds are drawn from a designed Camp Grant Fund held by the City of Rockford. Applicants had to be a relative of an honorably-discharged veteran. Graduates were judged on grade-point average, ACT scores, participation in community service, school activities, work experience, references and two short essays.
From the July 6-12, 2011, issue