- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Veterans Association awards scholarships
The Winnebago County Veterans Association has awarded scholarships to four graduating seniors from Winnebago County. Thirty-five graduates, 17 girls and 18 boys, competed for two $100 and two $500 scholarships.
Winners this year were Jeff Jacobson, $500, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Taylor Hughes, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; James Tammen, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; and Rachel Miller, $500, Keith Country Day School.
Funds are drawn from a designed Camp Grant Fund held by the City of Rockford. Applicants had to be a relative of an honorably-discharged veteran. Graduates were judged on grade-point average, ACT scores, participation in community service, school activities, work experience, references and two short essays.
From the July 6-12, 2011, issue