- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Veterans Association awards scholarships
The Winnebago County Veterans Association has awarded scholarships to four graduating seniors from Winnebago County. Thirty-five graduates, 17 girls and 18 boys, competed for two $100 and two $500 scholarships.
Winners this year were Jeff Jacobson, $500, Machesney Park Harlem High School; Taylor Hughes, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; James Tammen, $1,000, Machesney Park Harlem High School; and Rachel Miller, $500, Keith Country Day School.
Funds are drawn from a designed Camp Grant Fund held by the City of Rockford. Applicants had to be a relative of an honorably-discharged veteran. Graduates were judged on grade-point average, ACT scores, participation in community service, school activities, work experience, references and two short essays.
From the July 6-12, 2011, issue