- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
Running: Registration open for Aug. 6 State Street Mile
Registration is now open for the 27th annual SwedishAmerican State Street Mile, to be held Saturday, Aug. 6, in downtown Rockford.
The SwedishAmerican State Street Mile includes several popular races — Open, Masters, Kids’ Fun Run, and Male and Female Ben Newson Jr. heats for kindergarten through 12th-grade students.
The race begins directly in front of SwedishAmerican Hospital’s State Street entrance and has been called “The Fastest Mile in the Midwest.” It receives this designation because much of the race is downhill. Hundreds of runners are expected to participate, coming from many of the states surrounding Illinois. Runners have come from as far as New York to participate in the unique mile race.
The first heat in this year’s event will begin at 5:15 p.m. and will culminate with an awards ceremony at approximately 7 p.m. on the Rockford City Market Terrace, at the corner of Water Street and East State Street. The Kids’ Fun Run will be run on the State Street bridge. A portion of this year’s race proceeds will be donated to the Rockford Wildcats, a youth cross country team designed to let kids have fun while learning about running.
To register for the SwedishAmerican State Street Mile, or for more information, visit www.swedishamerican.org or www.rockfordroadrunners.com. More information may also be obtained by calling Runners’ Image at (815) 963-2171.
From the July 13-19, 2011 issue