- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Running: Registration open for Aug. 6 State Street Mile
Registration is now open for the 27th annual SwedishAmerican State Street Mile, to be held Saturday, Aug. 6, in downtown Rockford.
The SwedishAmerican State Street Mile includes several popular races — Open, Masters, Kids’ Fun Run, and Male and Female Ben Newson Jr. heats for kindergarten through 12th-grade students.
The race begins directly in front of SwedishAmerican Hospital’s State Street entrance and has been called “The Fastest Mile in the Midwest.” It receives this designation because much of the race is downhill. Hundreds of runners are expected to participate, coming from many of the states surrounding Illinois. Runners have come from as far as New York to participate in the unique mile race.
The first heat in this year’s event will begin at 5:15 p.m. and will culminate with an awards ceremony at approximately 7 p.m. on the Rockford City Market Terrace, at the corner of Water Street and East State Street. The Kids’ Fun Run will be run on the State Street bridge. A portion of this year’s race proceeds will be donated to the Rockford Wildcats, a youth cross country team designed to let kids have fun while learning about running.
To register for the SwedishAmerican State Street Mile, or for more information, visit www.swedishamerican.org or www.rockfordroadrunners.com. More information may also be obtained by calling Runners’ Image at (815) 963-2171.
From the July 13-19, 2011 issue