- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Lydia Urban Academy says thank you!
We wold like to say thank you to the businesses in our community for another successful year of Lydia Urban Academy’s Work Study program. These companies have made an investment in the students at Lydia by providing them on-the-job training, mentoring, and valuable work experience that has opened the door for future opportunities. Thank you to the following businesses:
Auto Body of Rockford, Blue Sky Insurance, Burpee Museum of Natural History, High Maintenance Salon and Spa, Menards, Mission Mart, Mother House Crisis Nursery, Restoration Café, Rockford Day Nursery, Rockford IceHogs, Rockford Specialty, Schlueter/Ecklund Attorneys, United Way of Rock River Valley, Williams Manny, YWCA.
The Work Study program offers high school students valuable learning opportunities through meaningful work experiences, while earning their high school diploma. This program puts students on the path toward self-sufficiency. One student said: “Through work study, I learned confidence. I learned that with confidence, it helps others take me seriously.”
Thank you again for the investment in the Work Study program and in the students at Lydia Urban Academy. It is this investment that will have a direct impact on the future workforce of our community.
From the July 20-26, 2011 issue