- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Lydia Urban Academy says thank you!
We wold like to say thank you to the businesses in our community for another successful year of Lydia Urban Academy’s Work Study program. These companies have made an investment in the students at Lydia by providing them on-the-job training, mentoring, and valuable work experience that has opened the door for future opportunities. Thank you to the following businesses:
Auto Body of Rockford, Blue Sky Insurance, Burpee Museum of Natural History, High Maintenance Salon and Spa, Menards, Mission Mart, Mother House Crisis Nursery, Restoration Café, Rockford Day Nursery, Rockford IceHogs, Rockford Specialty, Schlueter/Ecklund Attorneys, United Way of Rock River Valley, Williams Manny, YWCA.
The Work Study program offers high school students valuable learning opportunities through meaningful work experiences, while earning their high school diploma. This program puts students on the path toward self-sufficiency. One student said: “Through work study, I learned confidence. I learned that with confidence, it helps others take me seriously.”
Thank you again for the investment in the Work Study program and in the students at Lydia Urban Academy. It is this investment that will have a direct impact on the future workforce of our community.
From the July 20-26, 2011 issue