- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Lydia Urban Academy says thank you!
We wold like to say thank you to the businesses in our community for another successful year of Lydia Urban Academy’s Work Study program. These companies have made an investment in the students at Lydia by providing them on-the-job training, mentoring, and valuable work experience that has opened the door for future opportunities. Thank you to the following businesses:
Auto Body of Rockford, Blue Sky Insurance, Burpee Museum of Natural History, High Maintenance Salon and Spa, Menards, Mission Mart, Mother House Crisis Nursery, Restoration Café, Rockford Day Nursery, Rockford IceHogs, Rockford Specialty, Schlueter/Ecklund Attorneys, United Way of Rock River Valley, Williams Manny, YWCA.
The Work Study program offers high school students valuable learning opportunities through meaningful work experiences, while earning their high school diploma. This program puts students on the path toward self-sufficiency. One student said: “Through work study, I learned confidence. I learned that with confidence, it helps others take me seriously.”
Thank you again for the investment in the Work Study program and in the students at Lydia Urban Academy. It is this investment that will have a direct impact on the future workforce of our community.
From the July 20-26, 2011 issue