- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Softball: Rockford region hosts softball tournaments July 21-24
By Doug Halberstadt
Two United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) World Series will take place in the Rockford region. The 2011 USSSA Fast Pitch Women’s Open World Series Tournament for women 17 years or older and the Girls 14U “A” World Series Central Division will call Rockford home for the tournament.
Tonight (Wednesday, July 20) the Girls’ 14U “A” World Series-Central Division opening Ceremonies take place at 5:45 p.m. at Sportscore One on Elmwood Road. The event will include a parade of athletes, entertainment and a welcome from local dignitaries.
Their games start tomorrow morning and continue through Sunday, July 24. Games begin at 9 a.m. each day.
The games for the USSSA Fast Pitch Women’s Open World Series start Friday, July 22, and continue through Sunday, July 24. Their games begin at 1 p.m., Friday and 8 a.m., Saturday and Sunday
Spectator Admission for the women’s games is as follows: Adults: $8 per day or $25 for a tournament pass. Children ages 6-12: $5 per day or $12 for a tournament pass. Children 5 and younger are free.
Spectator Admission for the girls’ games is as follows: Adults: $10 per day or $40 for a tournament pass. Children ages 6-12: $5 per day or $20 for a tournament pass. Children 5 and younger are free.
Games for both events will be played at Sportscore One, 100 Elmwood Road, Rockford; Forest Hills Diamonds, 7742 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park; and Harlem Sports Complex, 9400 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park.
This is the first year the Rockford region has hosted the USSSA 14U World Series and the fourth consecutive year the region has hosted the Women’s World Series.
The Rockford region beat out several other cities around the country to host the tournaments, including Kissimmee, Fla., near Disney World. The two USSSA World Series events will bring an estimated 2,600 players, coaches and fans to the region and will generate more than $500,000 for businesses.
For more information, contact tournament organizer Brenda Paulson at (815) 964-3538.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the July 20-26, 2011 issue