- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Softball: Rockford region hosts softball tournaments July 21-24
By Doug Halberstadt
Two United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) World Series will take place in the Rockford region. The 2011 USSSA Fast Pitch Women’s Open World Series Tournament for women 17 years or older and the Girls 14U “A” World Series Central Division will call Rockford home for the tournament.
Tonight (Wednesday, July 20) the Girls’ 14U “A” World Series-Central Division opening Ceremonies take place at 5:45 p.m. at Sportscore One on Elmwood Road. The event will include a parade of athletes, entertainment and a welcome from local dignitaries.
Their games start tomorrow morning and continue through Sunday, July 24. Games begin at 9 a.m. each day.
The games for the USSSA Fast Pitch Women’s Open World Series start Friday, July 22, and continue through Sunday, July 24. Their games begin at 1 p.m., Friday and 8 a.m., Saturday and Sunday
Spectator Admission for the women’s games is as follows: Adults: $8 per day or $25 for a tournament pass. Children ages 6-12: $5 per day or $12 for a tournament pass. Children 5 and younger are free.
Spectator Admission for the girls’ games is as follows: Adults: $10 per day or $40 for a tournament pass. Children ages 6-12: $5 per day or $20 for a tournament pass. Children 5 and younger are free.
Games for both events will be played at Sportscore One, 100 Elmwood Road, Rockford; Forest Hills Diamonds, 7742 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park; and Harlem Sports Complex, 9400 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park.
This is the first year the Rockford region has hosted the USSSA 14U World Series and the fourth consecutive year the region has hosted the Women’s World Series.
The Rockford region beat out several other cities around the country to host the tournaments, including Kissimmee, Fla., near Disney World. The two USSSA World Series events will bring an estimated 2,600 players, coaches and fans to the region and will generate more than $500,000 for businesses.
For more information, contact tournament organizer Brenda Paulson at (815) 964-3538.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the July 20-26, 2011 issue